Wednesday 21 March 2007

Winter Hibernation.

Looking at this photograph, taken one November day, makes me think how much I appreciate the evergreens in the garden at that time of year. The ivy, clothing as it does the eaves of the barn, earns its keep by providing food and shelter to many insects, and finding favour also as a roosting site for hundreds of sparrows which visit the garden. On the far right under the poplar tree is a small holly, which offers its fruit of juicy berries to hungry blackbirds.

Taken during freezing fog on Boxing Day a few years ago, this photograph gives the garden a ghostly atmosphere. Jack Frost is just beginning to make ice crystals on the long drooping branches of the silver birches and the bundle of twigs by the log pile, whereas the green of the ground-covering plants has all but turned to silver.

A first glance at this winter wonderland scene, although taken in January, begs the question, ‘Did you have a good Christmas?’ The delineation of the ice crystals on the weeping birches, enhances their silhouettes, adding lustre and beauty in equal measure. Even the undulations on the roof of the barn are turned into uniform lines running from the top of each corrugated sheet to the bottom.
I took this photograph a few years ago after a blanket of snow covered the garden, creating a picturesque scene. However, later in the day, a snowstorm developed, lasting for the best part of three days, bringing much of the country to a standstill, due to roads being closed by heavy drifting and telephone and electricity cables freezing over. The only movement outside came from hungry birds flying in to the bird-table - as ever, groaning with seeds, nuts and scraps - and the odd foray by one of our cats skating across the pond.

21 comments:

RUTH said...

Beautiful photographs.

A wildlife gardener said...

Thank you, Ruth. I love your photos too.

stitchwort said...

Hello - I recently found your blog, probably through z, and am enjoying reading and seeing the photos.
Wonderful garden - wish I had something like it!

A wildlife gardener said...

Thank you, Stitchwort. you are very kind. I shall go and introduce myself to yours now.

Green thumb said...

What a contrast these photographs present from your previous post! Each one is breathtaking. Its 33 degree C here, yet I can feel the snow!

A wildlife gardener said...

We are at minus two today...brrr! Thanks for stopping by.

Gowri said...

Beautiful photography, dear wildlife gardener. the snowy landscape pictures you have taken are as beautiful as the flower pictures.

A wildlife gardener said...

Thank you, Thalia, for your very generous feedback. We don't have frost and snow all the time from November to February, but when we do, the transformation of the drab dark wet days into a winter wonderland offers me the opportunity me to take those shots.

Typed out said...

Found your site through Ruth. Love the photographs - winter and summer.

The winter down here in the South as been more like a coldish Autumn this year. This week, however, caught us out with some very cold nights and early morning frosts.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh you do indeed live in paradise.

I visited lots of gardens when I toured Scotland - but would have loved to have visited yours.

A wildlife gardener said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Moonraker, and for your kind comments. We're still sitting at two degrees today...brr! I'm off to do a rota duty at an art exhibition where three of my paintings are on display, so I'll be wearing my thermals!

You are very gracious, Allotment Lady. Lots of poeople drive past and notice our garden and come down the drive to ask if they can wander round. It's always a pleasure sharing the garden, whether it's with family, friends or passing strangers.

Sally said...

Interesting and beautiful. The contrast from the different days is what's interesting. The last photo is my favorite. The snow cover truly turns the scene into a winter wonderland.

A wildlife gardener said...

I love the snowy scenes too, Sally. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts on the garden with me.

Greg C said...

Wow what great photo's, I can hear the silence in these pictures. I now just what it sounds like. I haven't seen winter like that in a long time. It brings back memories.

Em said...

I just discovered your blog and your photos are fantastic! And I love the idea of creating a wildlife garden! I've read a few of your older posts...but will be back to read more!

A wildlife gardener said...

Thank you, Greg. I love the silence of those photos too. Saturday and Sunday here have been our warmest this year.

Thank you, Em, for your kind comments.

Manjari said...

awesome pic with great writing..

Anonymous said...

Wow. I had to send you a private email. But your photographs are very nice. Special.

Brookville Daily Photo
720 pixels

A wildlife gardener said...

Thank you for introducing yourself, Manjari, and for your very encouraging comments.

Abraham Lincoln, I've just visited your blog and seen wonderful photographs, so your compliment to me is much appreciated.

Unknown said...

I love those scenes... and in addition to your evergreens I just adore those weeping birches. I can't wait to see more pics of your lovely garden!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Winter does have a certain stark beauty to it! One I wish I were seeing a bit less of right now :).

Great photos!